- 1/3 lb. Neuske smoked bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 14 each plum tomatoes diced, you can substitute canned if needed: 2 12 oz canned diced and drained of liquid
- 1 medium Holland bell red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium Holland bell yellow bell pepper, diced
- 6 oz. diced black pepper HOJ beef jerky
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, de-seeded, de-veined and fine chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, fine chopped
- 2 cups Guiness beer
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, prefer Chipolte flavor tabasco
- 3 14 oz. canned cooked black beans or about 7 cups fresh cooked beans
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 T arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tea cold water
In a cast iron skillet sauté bacon until cooked through, remove the bacon to drip dry on a paper towel.
Add the olive oil to the bacon drippings and the add the onion, tomatoes, peppers, jerky and garlic.
Saute for approximately 5 minutes or until softened and then add the dry spices and hot sauce and sauté for an additional minute,
Remove vegetables and jerky and deglaze pan with the beer.
Add the vegetable jerky mix, the cooked bacon and the black beans into the beer and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by approximately a quarter.
In a small dish blend the cold water and arrowroot or cornstarch to make a slurry, add the slurry into the simmering bean mixture and cook on low heat for about a minute until the mixture thickens.
For a thicker chili, you can add additional slurry to get to the consistency you want. Season with salt to taste if needed.
Garnish with Sour Cream or my favorite Jalepeno Cheddar.
Serves 6 or 3 very hungry guys.