- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped Vidalia onions
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced rounds, thinner leeks are preferred
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 15 plum tomatoes large diced
- 2 medium Holland red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 pound small diced HOJ Sweet and Spicy Beef Jerky
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 5 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups white wine
- 16 oz clam juice
- 2 cups V8
- 12 Littleneck clams
- 12 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 pound Bay scallops
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern white beans, fresh cooked or canned
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- 3 teaspoon cold water
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Season to taste with Kosher or sea salt
Heat oil in heavy saucepan over low heat.
Add onions and leeks and saute until tender
Add garlic, tomatoes, peppers, jerky and oregano and sauté until tomatoes are soft, add the dry spices and brown sugar and continue to cook for about a minute.
Remove the vegetable and jerky mixture from the pan and deglaze with the white wine.
Add in the clam juice and return to a simmer.
Add the clams and mussels and cover and stream until shellfish is done, between 5-8 minutes.
Remove shellfish from broth and discard any unopened ones.
Add in the shrimp and scallops and simmer for about 3-4 minutes until opaque, remove the shrimp and scallops.
Add in the V8 juice to the broth and the white beans and return to a simmer.
Return all the seafood and the jerky vegetable mixture to the broth and simmer on very low heat for about 5 minutes.
In a small dish blend the cold water and arrowroot or cornstarch to make a slurry, add the slurry into the simmering bean mixture and cook on low heat for about a minute until the mixture thickens.
For a thicker chili, you can add additional slurry to get to the consistency you want.
Season to taste with kosher or sea salt
Top with fresh cilantro and serve.